Our July camp has been cancelled.
What is High School Hire?
High School Hire is a 5-Day (half-day) interactive day camp culminating in a job fair with local employers. Moonshot Mentors will teach Northern Arizona high school students best practices for job hunting, interviewing, and personal branding.
Many thanks to our sponsor United Way of Northern Arizona for supporting our camp! And thanks to Nackard for donating beverages for our campers.
When and where is it happening?
NACET Campus - 2201 N. Gemini Drive, Building B
What will campers learn/do?
* High School Hire will be led by Moonshot Mentors who are fun, engaging, compassionate, and knowledgeable business leaders. Learn more about the Mentors at the bottom of this page.
DAY 1 :
DAY 5: JOB FAIR DAY
- Learn and practice networking techniques and tricks that will be invaluable as you job hunt and enter the workforce.
- Develop a personal elevator pitch that you can use when you meet new potential employers.
- Learn the importance of and how to craft a vision board outlining several possible avenues regarding getting hired.
- Review the basic “do’s and don’ts” of interviewing.
- Practice interviewing one another.
- Listen to a guest speaker who is an employer in Flagstaff speak to what specific qualifications they look for when hiring a high school student.
- Learn about assumptions and biases. Discuss personal assumptions and biases and how they impact getting hired.
- Learn how to create a personal SWOT analysis. SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats, and is a commonly used term in business.
- Learn about the most common mistakes made by new employees.
- Learn and practice researching your desired field, criterion, and salary ranges using LinkedIn or Glassdoor.
- Understand your WHY as it relates to your job hunt and life aspirations.
- Learn how to create your own personal brand. Understand the importance of attire/fit, online presence, and more.
- Learn how to write a resume. Moonshot will provide printed copies of campers resumes.
- Learn how to write a cover letter and a follow-up letter. Practice writing both.
- Prepare references.
- Learn how and where to look for jobs.
DAY 5: JOB FAIR DAY
- 8:30am: You will be given extra time to prepare/complete what you'll need for the job fair later in the day.
- 9:00am: Moonshot Mentors will perform mock interviews with all campers to prepare them for the Job Fair starting at 10 am.
- 10:00-noon: Job Fair at Moonshot at NACET. NACET campus companies and invited guests/companies will meet with campers. Each camper will be assigned to their own personal table to receive a guest/possible employer or interviewer. Each interview will last five minutes before the employer/interviewer moves on to the next camper.
- 12:15: Wrap up
MOONSHOT MENTORS - CAMP LEADERS
Check out our High School Hire Mentors!
Scott Hathcock, CEO of Moonshot at NACET, is not only a seasoned CEO helping entrepreneurs grow and scale their businesses, he is also a keynote speaker and experienced educator who taught business classes at Northern Arizona University. Prior to taking the CEO role at Moonshot, Scott created the Chamber of Commerce's successful HACK THE CLASS educational program where professionals took over classrooms for a week to teach coding skills. Having spent 25 years as a successful brand builder in television and nonprofit sectors, Scott inspires young entrepreneurs to harness creativity in the pursuit of their dreams.
Amanda Kristinat, Moonshot at NACET VP of Finance and Operations, is also a seasoned entrepreneur having started four non-profit and for-profit companies over the years. In addition, she is a sought after speaker and a professor at the W. A. Franke School of Business at Northern Arizona University. Amanda has developed curriculum in all areas of business and has an affinity for inspiring youth. Formerly the CEO of Boys and Girls Club of Flagstaff, she knows a thing or two about working with kids. Amanda was recently honored with the prestigious Forbes Financial Council member award given to only a handful of outstanding financial executives in the United States.
Kiersten Hathcock is an ex-TV marketing executive turned self-taught furniture designer and carpenter who founded a furniture brand out of her garage in 2007. Her company, Mod Mom Furniture, has been featured in TV shows like Shark Tank and The Nate Berkus Show, in addition to international design books and publications like The New York Times and People Magazine. Prior to starting Mod Mom, Kiersten was a curriculum design specialist and award-winning training executive as well as an ad sales marketing director for two TV networks. In addition to running her furniture company, Kiersten is a professional speaker who frequently inspires high school and college audiences throughout the US to follow their dreams. She is also a TEDx speaker and an author.
Moonshot at NACET
2225 N. Gemini Dr.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
249 E. Chicago St.
Chandler, AZ 85225
AZ Stitch Lab
625 W. Rillito St.
Tucson, AZ 85705